Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:10:23 +0200
From:      Benjamin Walkenhorst <krylon@gmx.net>
To:        Hadi Maleki-Baroogh <hmalekib@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question..

Hadi Maleki-Baroogh wrote:

> my freebsd system tries to start syslogd, panics on ffswrite, and
> initiates a boot..
> it looks like it's continually cycling..
>
> anyone know what can cause this?

Not really. ;-?
*Maybe*, just maybe, it is because syslog can't write. Maybe file/folder
permissions are
wrong, maybe filesystem flags like schg/uchg are active or the
filesystem syslog tries to
write to is mounted read-only...

But there could, of course, be lots of other reasons as well. Maybe your
harddisk is broken and
the syslog-binary or the log-file or whatever is corrupted. Have you
changed anything
about the system recently?

Try booting into single user mode and do an fsck. I found that if the
system crashes too often
without being able to do a fsck, at some point your filesystems become
wrecked beyond hope
for repair (5.2-RELEASE I was using at the time - though I have to note
that the crashes were caused
by faulty hardware).
Also, on another machine, after crashing two times without being able to
do a full fsck after the
first crash, NetBSD 1.6.2-RC4 had somehow 'forgotten' about the
disklabel. (Again, hardware
issues)

Kind regards,
Benjamin