Date:      Sat, 5 Jul 2003 08:35:33 -0400
From:      "ACiD" <ACiD-0@comcast.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FreeBSD Startup Question

All,

I have been working a lot with Free 5.0.  Because of a few issues, I had to
back down to 4.8-RELEASE.  Now I am having problems understanding the rc
days, etc.)  The file system has an /etc/rc.d directory that loads separate
scripts on boot.  My local apps are also loaded from /usr/local/etc/rc.d.
This, for me, was a convenient way to modify say syslogd and change it to
listen for incoming network connections (-r).

But in 4.8 there is no rc.d directory.  I am having trouble understanding
how everything works here.  the /etc/rc file seems to load everything
(most - at least syslog) referencing a "syslogd_flags" variable.  I found
that placing this variable in the rc.conf file was reference (google
search), but it did not work for me.

Anyhow, would someone mind taking the time and explain the rc load process
on 4.8 to me and why its different in 5 ?  Also, am I correct in saying that
the 5.x tree will (remain) change to using the rc.d directory structure that
I like so much ???

Thanks very much in advance and sorry for seeming like such a noob !