Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 2002 13:36:20 +0200
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Variable Ethernet speeds between machines?

This is only partially a FreeBSD question, but I thought people here might
be more likely to know what's going on.

I have three machines on my LAN: a FreeBSD 4.3 server, a Windows NT Server
desktop, and a Windows XP desktop.  Each of the machines has a 10/100 Mbps
full-duplex Ethernet NIC.  The machines are connected via CAT5 coax to a
3Com Ethernet switch that is supposed to detect the cable type (crossover or
straight) and speed (10 or 100) automagically.  The mystery I encounter is
that transfers over the LAN between the NT machine and the FreeBSD machine
never appear to exceed 10 Mbps, but transfers between the FreeBSD machine
and the XP machine, or between the XP machine and the NT machine, easily
reach a full 100 Mbps.

Anyone have any idea why this is?  I'd expect the transfers with a given
machine to always run at the same speed (if the other machine is capable of
that speed).  So if NT transfers to XP (or vice versa) at 100 Mbps, then it
should do the same with FreeBSD--but it doesn't.  And yet all of the
machines are clearly capable of 100 Mbps transfers.  What's going on?

I don't think FreeBSD is responsible for the discrepancy; I'm just trying to
figure out what might be different about the FreeBSD/NT transfers that might
cause them to run at 10 Mbps instead of 100 Mbps.  As I've said, FreeBSD
transfers at the full 100 Mbps with the XP machine, and so does the NT
machine.  Very strange!