Date:      Sat, 28 Sep 2002 16:06:16 -0600
From:      David Zeibin <dzeibin@ualberta.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   DHCP/network problems when installing, dhclient "returns status of 2"

Hello all.

I looked at the lists and this (unfortunately) looked to be the most
relevant list to post to. If there is a more focused list (for networking,
say), please direct me to it. Thanks!

Otherwise....

I've been googling all over trying to find out what the status of dhclient
means and coming up with nothing.

My setup is a little bit weird: I have a FreeBSD machine currently serving
happily. It is also configured to act as a basic firewall so my laptop can
access the Internet. Usually, I just use static settings on my laptop to
communicate between the server and the laptop. I just recently got the DHCP
server going, and all is well. Laptop (Mac OS9.2.2, Open Transport 2.7.9)
works A-OK, discover, offer, request, acknowledge are all great...

Currently, I am trying to install (using FTP) FreeBSD on a *different*
machine, one that should communicate just like my laptop, but I get nothing.
Sysinstall DHCP server-scan times out and I get the regular network
configuration screen.

If I enter my data in as best I can (what is the host/domain supposed to be?
I'm using urbanpush.com since that's what the frontline FreeBSD box is
serving, but the new backline machine doesn't have an hostname or anything.
I expect that the frontline doesn't know how to address the backline? Can I
use an IP, namely what I want the backline machine to be? I tried that and
still no go) I have this:

SETTINGS:

Host: hilary.urbanpush.com
Domain: urbanpush.com
IPv4 Gateway: 10.0.0.1      // IP of frontline machine ie. Router
Name Server: 129.128.5.233  // the one I always use
IPv4 Address: 10.0.0.2      // IP I want this machine to be on local network
Netmask: 255.0.0.0          // Class A type network
No extra ifconfig options...

ALT-F2 DEBUG LOG OUTPUT:

During DHCP try I get this:

Notify: Scanning for DHCP servers...
Executing command 'dhclient -1 fxp0'     //fxp0 -> ethernet device address
Command 'dhclient -1 fxp0' returns status of 2

To note, the frontline box (dhcpd) does not display any DHCP-related
messages during this attempt.

After I try to configure it manually (with above settings) I get this:

Wrote out /etc/resolv.conf
Wrote out /etc/hosts
Init routine called for network device fxp0
ifconfig fxp0 inet 10.0.0.2 netmask 255.0.0.0
Executing command 'ifconfig fxp0 inet 10.0.0.2 netmask 255.0.0.0'
Command 'ifconfig fxp0 inet 10.0.0.2 netmask 255.0.0.0' returns status of 0

// I assume that's good

Adding default route to 10.0.0.1
Executing command 'route -n add default 10.0.0.1'
add net default 10.0.0.1
Command 'route -n add default 10.0.0.1' returns status of 0

// I assume that's also good

Network initialized successfully.      // Yay!
hostname = 'ftp.freebsd.org'           // The FTP server I chose
dir = '/'
port # = '21'
Notify: Looking up host ftp.freebsd.org.
Starting DNS.
Looking up hostname, ftp.freebsd.org, using getaddrinfo(AI_NUMERICHOST).
Looking up hostname, ftp.freebsd.org, using getaddrinfo().

And then it just sits there. After I hit the OK, the ethernet's LEDs flash a
couple times and then nothing. It doesn't timeout, it doesn't stop. It seems
like my Name Server is not responding, but I've never had a problem with
that one before.

I think I will soon take the box to work and jack into a real network, where
I know I have a host name and everything, but I still like to know if anyone
has any ideas, for future reference.

Terribly sorry about the length. Thought I should give you as much info as I
could.

Thanks in advance for any advice/info you might be able to offer.

Toodles,

Skip