Date:      Tue, 27 Dec 2016 11:09:47 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
To:        Xin LI <delphij@gmail.com>
Cc:        =?utf-8?B?55ub5oWn5Y2O?= <hhsheng@corp.netease.com>, Hongjiang Zhang <honzhan@microsoft.com>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, Jilles Tjoelker <jilles@stack.nl>
Subject:   Re: question about fopen fd limit
References:  <2016122223570929089978@corp.netease.com> <CY1PR03MB1517A33F8F9E0BAC00C2E345B5950@CY1PR03MB1517.namprd03.prod.outlook.com> <2016122311014089280414@corp.netease.com> <CY1PR03MB151796BFAEA5DDB1CD6DB752B5950@CY1PR03MB1517.namprd03.prod.outlook.com> <2016122316484066524625@corp.netease.com> <db32b02b-2eb3-cee8-98cd-0940223f04d9@freebsd.org> <CAGMYy3tQ0=7wEegf0W6Fq-Av%2BDTquc0su7Eg8o4OfEAmq3rCrg@mail.gmail.com>

Makes sense, at the same time if we go to 4/2billion descriptors it shouldn'=
t matter. Another trick would be to augment the inline function to check a v=
ersion flag and if it's incorrect then call the libc function. This will cau=
se some performance problems but only for really old software.=20

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 27, 2016, at 9:52 AM, Xin LI <delphij@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> -freebsd-net (bcc), +freebsd-arch
>=20
> This would work but also comes with a lot of pain.
>=20
> (But really - why do we implement these accessors, like fileno() and frien=
ds as macros with knowledge of the sFILE layout?  Will it be reasonable to s=
tart converting these to functions as a first step, which would not break AB=
I but allow us to do it in the future?  Otherwise we would be just kicking t=
he same can along the street forever...)
>=20
> FILE is supposed to be fully opaque to application writers in my opinion.
>=20
>> On Sat, Dec 24, 2016 at 5:19 PM, Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org> wr=
ote:
>> Hello =E7=9B=9B=E6=85=A7=E5=8D=8E
>>=20
>> Here's another trick that may work.
>>=20
>> Use funopen(3) and provide your own read/write/seek and close functions f=
or the high fds.
>>=20
>> You can basically make "cookie" a struct that contains your "int sized" f=
ds.
>>=20
>>      FILE *
>>      funopen(const void *cookie, int (*readfn)(void *, char *, int), int (=
*writefn)(void *, const char *, int),
>>          fpos_t (*seekfn)(void *, fpos_t, int), int (*closefn)(void *));
>>=20
>>=20
>> If you need more help please make sure to email me directly so I can see y=
our question.
>>=20
>> -Alfred
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>> On 12/23/16 12:48 AM, =E7=9B=9B=E6=85=A7=E5=8D=8E wrote:
>>> hi all,
>>>=20
>>> Thank you for your advice ~
>>> solution 2  definitly broaden my horizons ~~but may be  not a good choic=
e for my project ~~LoL
>>> i will try to mail  freebsd-current mail list, if libc is as your descri=
ption , may be i should modify it by myself ~~
>>> Thank you so much~
>>> Are u KingSoft's Dr Zhang ? nice to meet you !!!!!
>>>=20
>>>                                                                         =
             winson  sheng
>>>  =20
>>>=20
>>> winson sheng
>>>   From: Hongjiang Zhang
>>> Date: 2016-12-23 11:44
>>> To: =E7=9B=9B=E6=85=A7=E5=8D=8E; freebsd-net
>>> Subject: RE: RE: question about fopen fd limit
>>> Ok. I know.
>>> There are two possible solutions:
>>> Quick solution for short term: modify short to int in libc by yourself, b=
uildworld and installworld. Pushing to modify libc may take a long time, esp=
ecially only few people encounter this issue. You=E2=80=99d better send emai=
l to freebsd-current to confirm whether they accept your suggestion.
>>> Work around: You can first reserve a series of fd before opening TCP con=
nections. For example, invoke open(=E2=80=9C/dev/null=E2=80=9D) for 10000 ti=
mes to get 10000 fds. Those fd values are small enough to be held by =E2=80=9C=
short=E2=80=9D. After that, start TCP connections. Once you need to fopen a f=
ile, please call open(=E2=80=9Cxxx=E2=80=9D) instead, and then use dup2(old_=
fd, new_fd) to exchange the two fd. The old_fd value is the one obtained by o=
pen(=E2=80=9Cxxx=E2=80=9D), and new_fd is one in your reserved fd fields, an=
d next please use fdopen(fd, mode). Here, you have to manage the reserved fd=
s by yourself including open/close.
>>>   In my eyes:
>>> is the quick method, and there is no modifications in your logic.
>>> Needs you to maintain the reserved consecutive fields for fd by yourself=
, which increased the complexity of your logic.
>>>   Thanks
>>> Hongjiang Zhang
t will exceed the fileno limit, and overflow occur
>>>    my server can't open any file more ,that's the problem ~
>>>      so i felt if bsd official could change FILE struct's fileno to a UN=
SIGNED SHORT that may be an effecient and convenient solution just for my ca=
se ?
>>>    UNSIGNED SHORT fileno is enough for me, and i don't wanna change a lo=
t of FILE function that take FILE * as its argument ~
>>>       Thank you ~~~
>>>                                        winson sheng
>>>     =20
>>>=20
>>> winson sheng
>>>   From: Hongjiang Zhang
>>> Date: 2016-12-23 10:17
>>> To: =E7=9B=9B=E6=85=A7=E5=8D=8E; freebsd-net
>>> Subject: RE: question about fopen fd limit
>>> Why do you need to map TCP fd to FILE?
>>>   It is difficult to modify FILE structure. If it is possible, let us fi=
gure out some new designs to meet your requirement.
 25000+ tcp connection at the same time.Thanks to BSD and kqueue :)
>>>       for example, it's one of our server , netstat cmd to list connecti=
ons overall...
>>>     netstat -an | grep 13396 (it's our listening port) | wc -l
>>>     23221
>>>        recently we do some performance optimize and promote this connect=
 limit to 28000+ or 30000+.
>>>    But we find Freebsd has a limit that this huge online number will tak=
e 28000+ fd, and bsd FILE * struct's
>>>    fd only support to SHORT . such as ..
>>>   struct __sFILE {
>>> short _file; /* (*) fileno, if Unix descriptor, else -1 */  ...
>>>      so if our server want to fopen some file when we still hold this on=
line number, the fd amount may easily exceed 32767, and fopen definitely ret=
urn a err code. then the server will appear some fataly ERROR.
>>>      we do a simple test and confirm this situation.
>>>      then in fopen's code , we notice that we can use open to return a f=
d instread of fopen to avoid this overflow,
>>>     as below
>>>   68 /*
>>> 1 * File descriptors are a full int, but _file is only a short.
>>> 2 * If we get a valid file descriptor that is greater than
>>> 3 * SHRT_MAX, then the fd will get sign-extended into an
>>> 4 * invalid file descriptor. Handle this case by failing the
>>> 5 * open.
>>> 6 */
>>>        BUT ... so many c lib FILE series function needs a FILE * pointer=
 as input argument, we can't convert all of them to fd, or it will be a rath=
er suffering things to us.
>>>      and even in BSD 10 , it seems this short limit still there , but ot=
her OS as debian , FILE strucnt's fileno is a int .
>>>       we found an unoffical patch easily change this fileno to unsigned ,=
 but we are a very stready project, we can't afford the risk to use an unoff=
ical patch.
>>>      so, do you have any plan to change this fopen fd limit to UNSIGNED S=
HORT or int in the future ? ushort is enough for us .
>>>    if you do , we are really glad and excited~~~~~~~if you don't ,it don=
en't matter,  plz give us a reply so that we may need to