Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 2004 10:31:37 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Roberto Pereyra <rjpereyra@gualeguaychu.gov.ar>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How dangerous is 5.2 for production use

--dc+cDN39EJAMEtIO

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 07:22:04AM -0300, Roberto Pereyra wrote:
>=20
> > However the fsck of our 300+500 GB RAIDs=20
> > takes almost an hour and that's why i want to switch to 5.x because it=
=20
> > fscks in the background.

> FreeBSD 4.9 can fsck in the background too, look /etc/defaults/rc.conf
>=20
> Set in /etc/rc.conf
>=20
> fsck_y_enable=3D"YES"

No it cannot.  There is no capability to do *background* fsck(8) in
4.x.  'fsck_y_enable' doesn't have anything to do with operating in
the background or not.  What that means is that 'fsck -y' will be run
automatically if the initial 'fsck -p' fails.  All that 'fsck -y'
implies is that fsck will assume you answer 'y' to any of the queries
it prints out.  None of this will happen in the background under 4.x
-- ie. you will have to wait for all of the fsck(8)ing to finish
before any filesystems are mounted and any other software gets started
up.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20