Date:      Thu, 06 Feb 2003 15:15:07 -0500
From:      Jud <judmarc@fastmail.fm>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   XFree86 from CVS?

The good news:  I've purchased an ATI Radeon 9500 and used an available
driver patch to give it the performance of the 9700 model, which costs
about twice as much.  :)

The bad news:  XFree86 4.2.0_1,1 (most recent version available with
FreeBSD, I believe) doesn't work with the newest Radeons.

The XFree86 CVS changelog shows 2D support (all I need ATM - willing to
wait for 3D) having been added just a few days ago.

My question:  Is it reasonable to try to install XFree86 from CVS on
FreeBSD 4-STABLE, particularly for someone who lacks good wide-ranging Unix
knowledge?  (I can follow simple directions - with my prior card I was
using the nVidia drivers without difficulty.)  Has anyone out there done
this recently?  Tips, "gotchas?"

Thanks,

Jud