Date:      Sun, 6 Mar 2005 17:05:01 -0500
From:      Ean Kingston <ean@hedron.org>
To:        John Pettitt <jpp@cloudview.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gmirror / gstripe

On Sunday, March 6, 2005, at 04:55  PM, John Pettitt wrote:

> I'm considering making a raid0+1 array out of 4 x 250GB USB drives
> using
> gmirror and gstripe on a FreeBSD 5.3 box.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Has anybody done this?  What should I watch our for?

I haven't done this on FreeBSD or with USB drives (but have on Solaris
with SCSI). Make sure all your USB drives always show up as the same
device (in /dev) or you may wind up corrupting your system.

> 2) Stripe then mirror right? (or mirror then stripe? Does it matter?)

That is the way I've always done it but I don't see any reason not to
do it the other way. Just remember how you did it should you need to
recover.