Date:      Mon, 1 Dec 2008 22:46:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      ancelgray <ancelgray@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware support for AMD Geode CS5536 audio?

Lionel replies:

Hi Andrew, thank you for your quick reply.

"cat count.raw > /dev/dsp" does indeed work without any message in the
syslog.

If I try to cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp I get a very thin white-ish
noise and still no message. (I set all levels to 100 with mixer(8))

This is rather encouraging, I hope it helps.

By the way, I forgot to put the version I'm running in my last
email:
# uname -a
FreeBSD home.svkt.org 7.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE #1: Sat \
Nov 1 23:24:38 CET 2008 \
simias@casibsd:/home/simias/build-fitpc/obj/i386/usr/src/sys/FITPC-CONF \
i386

Tell me if I can try something else or if you want me to provide you
more details about my system. I'm using a heavily trimmed down kernel
configuration so maybe I inadvertently disabled something mpg123
needs.

Lionell,

OK, this is indeed encouraging.  Perhaps my default block size of 256 bytes
is too small for the
44 Khz audio.  I did not test the driver with mpg123.  I am using Linphone
with just
mono 8 Khz audio.  The 256 byte block size works fine for me.

I will install the mpg123 package soon and see what's up.

Thanx again for testing.

Andrew Gray