Date:      Fri, 7 Mar 2003 17:21:56 -0500
From:      taxman <taxman@acd.net>
To:        Thomas Haug <shagol@shagol.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: core dump

On Friday 07 March 2003 04:00 pm, Thomas Haug wrote:
> Hi List members
>
> Since a few weeks my box is core dumping when i'm doing a make
> buildworld with
> one of the following error msgs (changing always :-)):

If it is changing the place in the compile that it bombs at each time, doing
the same buildworld, with the same source, then you have a *high* likelihood
of hardware error of some sort.  Try doing the exact same buildworld two or
three times in a row, does it bomb every time?  Same spot or different?
You didn't show enough of the error to let us know that
try using script to record the output of the build then you can include more
of the error in your mail if needed.

> Mar  5 21:54:17 ns1 /kernel: pid 34726 (cc1), uid 0: exited on signal 4
> (core
> dumped)
> Mar  5 22:10:21 ns1 /kernel: pid 5383 (cc1), uid 0: exited on signal 11
> (core
> dumped)
> Mar  5 22:10:21 ns1 /kernel: pid 5384 (as), uid 0: exited on signal 5 (core
> dumped)
>
> This box is running since a year, so its pritty new and i never had
> problems
> with it. Every appl is running fine, nothing is core dumping, just the make
> buildworld does...

That could easily be because buildworld stresses your system more and in
different ways than most other apps.

Tim