Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 2010 20:06:11 -0500
From:      Ryan Coleman <ryan.coleman@cwis.biz>
To:        Garry <tbcrew@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Is this bunk.

OS X is based on Darwin which was, as I understand it, inspired by BSD =
but not specifically FreeBSD; most like was Net or OpenBSD.

But, you can say the same about Windows, Mac OS and X11 because they =
were all inspired by Xerox PARC...

Or a brand of tires because they look a lot like another brand, on the =
inside of the tire.

On Aug 22, 2010, at 7:25 PM, Garry wrote:

> This is a conversation held on a UK group page, can you confirm or =
deny this
> as twaddle.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Mac OS X is basically BSD that's been appleised (serious vendor =
lock-in),
> they do give a little back to BSDs, but have made sure that BSDs can't =
get
> much off of them, but they can get a lot out of BSD.
>=20
> Also, Windows uses  (or used to use) a BSD stack for networking for
> instance.
>=20
> So, in supporting/using BDS i would enevatibaly end up writing code =
for it,
> or filing bugs or whatever.
> (I have assisted with a few Linux drivers and written kernel patches, =
as
> well as working on things like DirectX 3D 9 for Wine and work on KDE =
etc...)
>=20
> Having seen how BDS license software has been used, to create highly =
tied
> in, almost crippled proprietary software, I do not feel that I can =
support
> software developed under such licenses.
>=20
>=20
> Web-Kit has actually worked quite well as an open system, even though =
Apple
> done a hostile take over of the project from KHTML in KDE.
> So, the GPL has worked to produce an open product in Web-kit but the =
BSD