Date:      Wed, 1 Jan 2020 14:40:10 -0700
From:      Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>
To:        Franco Fichtner <franco@lastsummer.de>
Cc:        "@lbutlr" <kremels@kreme.com>, FreeBSD <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Portmaster failing

On Jan 1, 2020, at 14:23, Franco Fichtner <franco@lastsummer.de> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BFHi Adam,
>=20
>> On 1. Jan 2020, at 10:18 PM, Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org> wrote:
>>=20
>>> On Wed, Jan 1, 2020 at 1:51 PM @lbutlr <kremels@kreme.com> wrote:
>>>=20
SL 1.0.2
>>>=20
>>> Well, at this point I cannot install openssl111 without deinstalling ope=
nssl, which I cannot deinstall since it is gone from ports.
>>>=20
>>> Looks like I have to remove openssl, which =E2=80=A6 I mean, seriously, t=
his seems pretty hostile.
>>>=20
>>> Name           : openssl
>>> Version        : 1.0.2u,1
>>> Installed on   : Sun Dec 22 08:13:27 2019 MST
>>>=20
>>> There was nothing at all on the 22nd about =E2=80=9CWARNING THIS WILL BR=
EAK EVERYTHING IN A WEEK=E2=80=9D which to mean seems like it should have be=
en made super obvious.
>>=20
>> This is why we practically beg people to use poudriere.
>=20
> Let me stop you right here and say: ports Framework itself is
> suffering from this wishful attitude and this has nothing to do
> with readily available poudriere "replacements" which are not
> as good as poudriere for sure.
>=20
> If the ports framework isn't seen as a stand alone infrastructure
> worth its own integrity the discussion is already dead and the
> quality will keep to decline for every casual FreeBSD user who
> doesn't really care for this or that tool, but wants to install
> software from the ports tree manually.
>=20
>=20
> Cheers,
> Franco

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said. The ports tree has grown to=
o complex for a simple =E2=80=9Cmake install=E2=80=9D to be a predictable pr=
ocess. What we have now is a major usability problem wherein we have a large=
 handful of tools, all but one of which are essentially broken. We do need a=
 new approach to this problem.=20

# Adam

=E2=80=94
Adam Weinberger