Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 08:57:02
From:      "Matt G." <matt_g_@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   fix for bad margins in PDF files

I just grabbed a copy of the FreeBSD PDF from:
	ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/doc/en/books/handbook/

It has a copyright date of 2002, in the front matter, so I assume it's
fairly recent.

I wanted to report a problem with the top margins (the header is almost off
the page).  I believe this to be an issue that jadetex has, in producing
.dvi files.  I have discovered two approaches to rectifying the issue:
	* use pdfjadetex to create the PDF files, directly.  This has
	  the advantage that the structure of the document doesn't
	  get flattened (such as with xrefs) and you get "bookmarks",
	  which is the navigation bar with a clickable outline of the
	  the document.

	* use the -O "0.0in,0.75in" flag, with dvips/dvipdf.

The second solution is still worth using for postscript files, if you have
the same issue with them.

Anyhow, keep up the good work!

Matt Gruenke