Date:      Wed, 3 Jun 1998 09:37:20 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin/6794

On Wed,  3 June 1998 at  6:32:22 +1000, Bruce Evans wrote:
>> Synopsis: Cannot remount root file system after fsck
>>
>> State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
>> State-Changed-By: phk
>> State-Changed-When: Tue Jun 2 04:09:21 PDT 1998
>> State-Changed-Why:
>> cannot reproduce on -current
>
> It's easy to reproduce.  Put an alias for the device containing the root
> file system in /etc/fstab and crash.  Then fsck won't know that the raw
> device that it works on is for the root file system and the root file
> system won't be reloaded.

This would appear to contain a suggestion for a fix, but I'm not sure
I understand.  On the other hand, it also points to something unusual
in my configuration: I use the entry in boot.config to boot from
partition e:

Booting 0:sd(0,e)kernel @ 0x100000

The fsck and mount operations seem to be in agreement about the name
of the root file system:

WARNING: / was not properly dismounted.
swapon: adding /dev/sd0s1b as swap device
Automatic reboot in progress...
/dev/rsd0s1a: clean, 23757 free (589 frags, 2896 blocks, 1.5% fragmentation)
/dev/rsd0s1e: CLEAN FLAG NOT SET IN SUPERBLOCK (FIXED)
/dev/rsd0s1e: 1040 files, 16633 used, 22358 free (110 frags, 2781 blocks, 0.3% fragmentation)
/dev/rsd0s1f: clean, 688919 free (16047 frags, 84109 blocks, 1.7% fragmentation)
/dev/rsd0s1g: FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK (SALVAGED)
/dev/rsd0s1g: SUMMARY INFORMATION BAD (SALVAGED)
/dev/rsd0s1g: BLK(S) MISSING IN BIT MAPS (SALVAGED)
/dev/rsd0s1g: CLEAN FLAG NOT SET IN SUPERBLOCK (FIXED)
/dev/rsd0s1g: 60123 files, 577796 used, 344155 free (1715 frags, 42805 blocks, 0.2% fragmentation)
WARNING: R/W mount of / denied. Filesystem is not clean - run fsck.
/dev/sd0s1e on /: Operation not permitted
Filesystem mount failed, startup aborted
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
erase ^H, kill ^U, intr ^C
# fsck -y /dev/rsd1e
** /dev/rsd1e
** Last Mounted on /mnt/usr
** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
21781 files, 196074 used, 293338 free (22514 frags, 33853 blocks, 4.6% fragmentation)
# Skipping disk checks ...
WARNING: R/W mount of / denied. Filesystem is not clean - run fsck.
/dev/sd0s1e on /: Operation not permitted
Filesystem mount failed, startup aborted

The other funny thing about this situation is that this is after the
root file system has been mounted read-only.

Greg