Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2005 00:44:55 -0800
From:      Sandy Rutherford <sandy@krvarr.bc.ca>
To:        Jamie Novak <novak@qwest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't reboot after messing up my rc.conf file

 > I may have missed something from the thread before I joined the list,
 > but is there any reason you can't just mount the filesystems and use vi
 > as you're used to? If you're getting far enough in the boot process to
 > get an opportunity to interact with a shell, you should just be able to
 > mount -a and vi whatever. (Or, if you want to play it safe (or if the
 > system wasn't cleanly shutdown before), fsck and then mount -a)

This should work fine. Although, depending on where he is in the boot
process, / may be mounted read-only.  Do `mount -uw /' to make it
read-write.

The lesson here is that when editing any file that is even remotely
connected to the boot process, _make_a_backup_copy_.  You can then
simply mv the backup copy back into place should you mess up.

Sandy