Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 2000 22:21:52 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Adrian Chadd <adrian@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RANDOMDEV inspired realitycheck regarding i386/i486...

Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:

> In message <200011151739.KAA13021@usr01.primenet.com>, Terry Lambert
> writes:
> > >
> > > 386'en might still have a place for small embedded products but I'm
> > > proabably going to be flamed when I say I think FreeBSD-current isn't
> > > very suited to "embedded 386 with tiny everything" applications.
> >
> > That's a problem with FreeBSD-current, not a problem with
> > "embedded 386 with tiny everything".
> >
> > I'm reminded when SVR4s footprint first went to 8M of RAM.
> >
> > I also find it amusing that I can get an old SVR4.0.2 ES/MP,
> > and load it on both SMP boxes, and on 6M 386 boxes, when I
> > am quickly becoming unable to do the same for FreeBSD-current.
> >
> > I guess this is inevitable, as security is increased, since
> > the most secure computer is one which doesn't run...
>
> Garfinkel and Spafford write in their book Practical UNIX and Internet
> Security that the most secure system is one berried under six feet of
> dirt.  Even then tye didn't think it was 100% secure.  :)

Yeah, to make it fully secure, you open up the case, stir the insides
vigorously with a crowbar, fill the case with cement, replace the top,
coat with epoxy, then drop it in the ocean off the continental shelf.
Optionally, you can replace the last step with stuffing it into a
rocket and shooting it into the sun, but that's a little drastic.

I suspect Adrian, or whoever the original author was, may not be in touch
with how popular 386s are in the embedded world, or with how popular
FreeBSD is in the embedded world.