Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 01:08:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Dan Mahoney Jr." <danm@DanMahoney.com>
To:        Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dialing Out?

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Andrew MacIntyre wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Jan 1999, Dan Mahoney wrote:
>
> > Hi.  I'm using pine on my home BSD machine, and I notice that it forces my
> > ppp connection open whenever I launch pine.  Is there any reason for this,
> > and is there any way to quell this behavior?
>
> Pine is doing a DNS lookup on startup.  There may be a Pine option which
> can stop this.

Do you know exactly what it's looking FOR?

> Otherwise make sure that /etc/hosts contains a reference to the fqdn of
> the system, and make sure that "hosts" is before "bind" in /etc/host.conf.
>
> PS.  when sending to mailing lists as well managed as the FreeBSD lists,
> you are much more likely to get a reply if a real address is used.  While
> the occasional piece of spam does come through, it is now quite rare.

Well, actually, the email address you got the stuff from is my dialup,
which my dad uses the POP box for (but I need for usenet posting)...I
dunno if you saw it in the headers, but the question I posted to the list
also went to the usenet comp.mail.pine.  Personally, I get my mail at my
personal domain, but that doesn't include usenet services....

Thanks for the tips, tho.

-Dan

--

"It doesn't matter where I live, because I live in dataspace.  That's my
hometown."

-Steve Roberts, Builder of BEHEMOTH

Dan Mahoney
Gushi on efnet IRC