Date:      Thu, 16 May 1996 10:55:14 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /stand/ee

> Christoph P. Kukulies stands accused of saying:
> >
> > I agree that vi is not available in a standalone situation
> > but after a successful installation or when /usr/bin/vi
> > is available something else (vi) rather than /stand/ee should be
> > chosen. It's vipw and not eepw and not emacspw :-)
>
> Oh yawn.  If you know how to use vi you know how to set EDITOR in
> your .cshrc.  If you don't, then you want something a little more
> intuitive.

So is ee now the official FreeBSD editor? I grudgingly accepted Jordan's
point about having a simple editor for installation but I didn't like
the trend then and I still don't like it now.

> Obviously you've never had to give over-the-shoulder vi lessons.

Learning vi is one of those things you have to do to admin an unix box.
If command line editing and mode based editors isn't your thing there
are other OS's you can use :-)

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155