Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 21:08:03 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG, jb@cimlogic.com.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG, paulz@trantor.stuyts.nl
Subject:   Re: make buildworld needs root privs , why ?

Bruce Evans scribbled this message on Jun 26:
> > * > Shouldn't it be possible to builworld as a non-priviliged user and only
> > * > make installworld as root ???
> >
> >It should, IMO.
>
> It almost is.  You have to set BINOWN, BINGRP, SHAREOWN and SHAREGRP
> to something that you can shown to, and you have to have write permissions
> to /usr/obj/your-usr-src or set MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX to somewhere you can
> write to.

yep, you need TMAC{OWN,GRP} in there too...

> >Didn't someone submit a patch to fix this very problem?  Bruce?
>
> It's almost worked for a year or two.  I don't know why I thought there

yep... I've been buildworlding as a normaly user for around a year now..

> was no problem with schg flags.  schg is currently used for a whole 2
> 2 files under ${WORLDTMP} (libc.so.M.m and libc_r.so.M.m), and buildworld
> by non-root crashes about half way through when the first of these is
> installed.

nope, actually, install silently ignores setting the schg flag... at
least it does on my 2.2.6-stable box...

also, buildworld is useful to get the -current environment if you need
to test/build kernels...  personally I prefer to build -current kernels
on my k6/200 than my 486/66dx2 -current box...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                              Voice: +1 541 683 7109
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD
	    Don't trust anyone you don't have the source for