Date:      Sat, 2 Sep 2000 18:23:19 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Elliot Finley <efinley@efinley.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.1-Stable and Thundering Herds

Elliot Finley wrote:

>      I was wondering if the "Thundering Herd"
> (http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/linux-scalability/reports/accept.html)
> problem exists in FreeBSD 4.1-Stable?

I don't *think* it does, but I'm not a kernel guru.  I think what
FreeBSD does is just to wake up one process blocked in accept for the
socket which a connection arrives on, rather than all of them.  But I'm
not 100% sure.  You might like to ask freebsd-hackers if you don't get a
more definitive answer here since that list is for more technical things
like this.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D