Date:      Sun, 15 Jun 2003 01:44:43 +0930
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        elarsen2@cox.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with some problems

One e-mail per question!

When you ask a number of questions people tend not to reply unless they h=
ave a=20
response to all.

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 12:23, Earl Larsen wrote:
> Problem #1
> I have a KVM switch. And sometimes when I use the switch. I get a "no
> monater deteceted" error.
>
> Problem #2
> The only account that can mount my floppy and cd roms is the root. I pu=
> the other accounts in the "wheel" group. And I am unabel to mount.

%  /sbin/sysctl vfs.usermount=3D1
Should allow user mounts when permissions are OK on device special and=20
mount point.

Most of us seldom mount floppies but use instead mtools. Get the package
or install from ports.

> Problem #3
> When I put % echo "exec startkde"> ~... in .xinitrc. I get  a "mode 8 n=
ot
> supported" error. I have an ATI Radeon 7000 card. And I went to their w=
eb
> site and could not find any drivers.

I don't know much about kde and I'm not sure what is meant by mode 8, but=
suspect it refers to depth 8 configuration of X. Try configuring 15, 16 o=
r 24.

> Problem #4
> I am using Kmail for my email and when I go to check my spelling. I get=
 the
> following error  "ISpell/Aspell could not be started. Please make sure =
you
> have ISpell or Aspell properly configured and in your PATH."

Don't know Aspell but ispell is a spelling package available with america=
n,
english and dictionaries for many other languages. You need to install th=
is
separately.

> Suggestion #1
> Does anyone know of a good and easy configurable FTP Server software.

Good ftp server software is installed by default. To activate you normall=
y run=20
inetd (already started by default in standard installation) and ftp enabl=
ed=20
in inetd.conf:-
remove the '#' at the beginning of the line:
#ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/ftpd       ftpd -l
in /etc/inetd.conf

You'll need to have inetd reread this by sending it a SIGHUP
% kill -HUP inetd_pid
(or simply reboot)
You can get inetd_pid from  /var/run/inetd.pid

> Question#1
> I am running wine. And when I start my GUI.  I would like to have my
> Anti-virus software running in the  background automaticly. How would I=
 do
> that. Whould I put the executable path in the .xinitrc file?

Malcolm