Date:      Sat, 7 Apr 2001 05:31:13 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: +REQUIRED_BY files missing?

Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru> types:
> Hello!
>
> I've been mocking around this rxvt port when suddenly I forgot to add some
> option to Makefile, and decided to deinstall it and rebuild from scratch
> (I didn't want to FORCE_PKG_REGISTRation just to make it all perfect).
>
> Oddly enough, when I typed make deinstall, I got these messages:
> ===>  Deinstalling for rxvt-2.6.3
> pkg_delete: couldn't open dependency file `/var/db/pkg/imake-4.0.3/+REQUIRED_BY'
> pkg_delete: couldn't open dependency file `/var/db/pkg/XFree86-libraries-4.0.3_1/+REQUIRED_BY'
>
> And indeed, there are no such files.  Aren't they are ones from where
> pkg_infp -R takes all info?  I crawled through /var/db/pkg/ and was kinda
> surprized to see that only some ports have them (like qt) while others
> (gmake, XFree86-4, many others) simply lack them.
>
> I wonder, is this OK, or I probably did screw my ports somehow?

No, those files are in *other* ports, not yours. I.e. - imake-4.0.3
and XFree86-libraries-4.0.3_1 don't know they are required by
rxvt. This typically happens if you force a pkg_delete even if the
package is required. You do that when you upgrade a port that has
dependencies and upgrading won't break them.

It's not a real problem.

	<mike