Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2000 12:49:49 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Coleman Kane <cokane@one.net>
Cc:        Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@dsuper.net>, void <float@firedrake.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kerneld for FreeBSD

On Wed 2000-06-07 (01:43), Coleman Kane wrote:
> I really don't think that stupidity is the issue, there are plenty of
> devices which you use very discretely which may only need support
> every once in awhile.

Once again, I don't think you're giving me enough clues as to what
you're aiming at.  While I believe it's the sysadmin's choice whether to
unload modules, it's also hir choice as to whether to run a daemon
that'll auto-unload unused modules.  That part of your idea I can
understand.  I'd imagine it'd work great as a port.

> It might be nice to start running on modules regularly. It would also
> be useful to be able to update your device driver while running
> freebsd, without needing to reboot.

You can already do this.  kldunload the old module, and kldload the new
module.  Or am I missing something again?

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
Sunesi Clinical Systems