Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 19:29:10 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <jeremyp@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au>
To:        cracauer@cons.org, dfr@nlsystems.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using float emulator on a system with FPU?

Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com> wrote:
>You might consider looking at the fp emulator which I wrote for the alpha.
>It should be accurate (I tested against the fpu on an x86) and contains
>test harness code which can be used to play with it on both x86 and alpha.

Anyone interested in working on FP emulation (or checking the
shortcuts DEC made when then designed the Alpha) might like to
check out <http://www.netlib.org/fp/ucbtest.tar.gz>:

     UCBTEST is a suite of programs for testing certain difficult cases of
IEEE 754 floating-point arithmetic.  Some of the difficult test cases are
obtained from number-theoretic algorithms developed by Turing Award winner
Prof. W. Kahan, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science,
University of California, Berkeley, as part of ongoing research into test
methods for computer arithmetic.

Peter