Date:      Sat, 30 Jun 2001 00:44:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Virtual Bob <hey9811@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Freebsd Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: [Fwd: [Fwd: Office XP & Windows XP activation woes]]

> In some ways I am sympathetic to Microsoft's predicament.  One of the big
> reasons they are a monopoly is because the lack of product serialization
> has meant that the majority of smaller companies simply illegally load
> multiple copies of their software, instead of buying copies.  As a result
> this enforces the monopoly position because "everyone" uses the
> applications -
> yet Microsoft has not been compensated because these freeloaders have no
> intention of paying for the software.  It's bad enough to be declared a
> monopoly because you are one, but at least you got the money - it's worse
> when you get declared a monopoly and the users that put you into the
> position
> never paid you. :-)

Actually, I believe that is part of M$'s strategy -- first conquer the
market however you can, and then such every penny out of it. Although like
any software company Microsoft will act upon piracy activities, I have
also heard about Microsoft under-cover employees flooding warez group with
Winblowz. Argument goes that since most people are using Windoze,
newcomers will also (usually) go for Windoze. After you've flooded and has
majority of the market, you then put things like XP which needs this
"activation code" thing and begin to suck $$$ out of it.

I doubt Microsoft made much money on individual sales of any WInblows. I
bet virtually all profit came from OEM bundling deals with hardware
makers, with corporate America (site license) coming in distant second...

------------- clip here with virtual scissors --------------