Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 1996 22:36:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        /G=David/S=Sandel/DD.ALISA=SANDELD@mhs-emerson.attmail.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org (freeq)
Subject:   Re: Install from DOS partition

/G=David/S=Sandel/DD.ALISA=SANDELD@mhs-emerson.attmail.com wrote...
> Hi There ---
>

> I have everything setup to install from a DOS partition on a PC.
> I am running W95 and have 1gig for windows and 1 gig for FreeBSD.

Hmm, FreeBSD's root slice needs to be below the 1024 cylinder mark (due to
BIOS restrictions) if you're going to boot from it.  This setup may bite
you, once the installation is done.

> I have the dos partition mounted and the Freebsd has autodefault
> partitions. OK ... no problemo ... so far ...
>
> anyway ... I do a novice installation, average X user, and then start
> up the install. It runs for a while .... mounts the dos drive and
> starts
> copying files .... gets into the stand/ls copy and then gets an error
>

> gunzip: stdin : invalid compressed data-format violated
> /stand/cpio: premature end of file
> DEBUG : dummy[default] close called for sd0s1 with fd of 6.
> DEBUG : switching back to VTY1

99.999% certain to be just what it says :-)

Looks like one of your installation files is busted - bad ftp or
something.  Find out which file it is (from the second virtual console)
and replace it.  How did you get the install images?  Youd didn't ftp
them as ASCII files, by any chance?

> then ....
>

> failed to load root distribution .....
>

> what should I do from here ???
>

> Dave Sandel
> Emerson Motor
> 8100 W. Florissant
> St. Louis, MO. 63136
>
> 314-553-2772

Regards,

John

--
Beavis and Butt-Head;  Vladimir and Estragon for the '90s.

finger jbrann@panix.com for pgp public key