Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 06:08:58 +0100
From:      Martin Welk <mw@theatre.sax.de>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What Was I Smoking, or, First 2.1.x build of 2000?

On Wed, Jan 19, 2000 at 05:17:15PM -0600, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> On:
> CPU: i386DX (386-class CPU)
> real memory  = 4587520 (4480K bytes)
> avail memory = 3174400 (3100K bytes)

I already mentioned somewhere on some mailing lists that good old 386DX20
I was using in 1994 with FreeBSD-1.1-R - it was a fine machine, but making
a kernel took about 8-9 hours (3 MByte RAM but SCSI disks) as it was
constantly swapping meanwhile, and although at that time I really didn't
think of making the world, I wouldn't have tried that without a good UPS
on such a machine :-) (It's a little like building PCL font images from
description files under Windows, for 50-60 mbytes of fonts I remember
more than two days on a 386 - hey, this was in 1988 and there were not
much Windoze users speaking of PostScript this time :-)

Regards,

Martin
--
 /| /|        | /| /            ,,You know, there's a lot of opportunities,
/ |/ | artin  |/ |/ elk                     if you're knowing to take them,