Date:      Sat, 15 Sep 2001 20:37:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      gLaNDix <glandix@lloydix.2y.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ncftp shortcut

On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, dannyman wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 01:33:27AM +0200, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
>
> > Btw you may call yourself a newbie, but the choice of ncftp shows
> > great wisdom...it is a top banana ftp client !

definately!  been one of my fav's for a long time!

> Uhmmm, have you exhausted the FreeBSD native client?  It has all the
> goodies like tab completion, without all the annoying weird prompting
> you to save bookmarks or random terminal compatibility trouble.

you can turn off the save bookmarks prompt (it says so in the prompt
itself)...  they can also be very handy when you regularly use an ftp site
where the files you need takes a number of 'cd xxx...' commands to get
where you need...  just type 'ncftp <bookmark_name>' and you're logged in
and in the dir you want to be in!

i've run w/ various types of terms and never had any terminal
compatability problems...  i've used it in both FreeBSD and various
distros of linux in many different situations and never had a problem...

also, ncftpget (also installed from the port of ncftp) is wonderful for
d/l-ing files from ftp in only one line!

(btw, i'm using ncftp 3.0.3 ... previous versions may differ)

gLaNDix