Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:36:24 +0100
From:      "Kimi Ostro" <kimimeister@gmail.com>
To:        "Jack Vogel" <jfvogel@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WOL question

On 10/04/07, Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am hoping someone here who has more familiarity with the ACPI
> code can enlighten me....
>
> I have an internal bug filed complaining that FreeBSD disables
> wake-on-lan on the hardware. This means that if you boot, say,
> Linux, even Knoppix as a quickie, and then shutdown, if the
> hardware supports it, it will be left in a state where a magic-packet
> wakeup will work. However, even if I boot up a FreeBSD kernel
> with NO em driver, and then shutdown, it undoes the WOL setup.
>
> Now, I would like to have explicit WOL support added into the
> em driver, but before I even worry about that I need to understand
> where the kernel turns this off without the driver even needed.
>
> I've looked around at the dev/acpi and arch/acpi code and at
> least so far I'm having a hard time getting an adequate picture
> to know how it happens.
>
> Jack

This isnt specific to em, it also happens on other ethernet cards
(rl(8) fxp(8)) that support WOL/MagicPacket. Might be idea to check PR
database see if someone has same problem, maybe fix? it was nice
installing ports/net/wol and getting a computer to fire up remotely,
but as soon as it rebooted from FreeBSD, WOL stopped :(
--
Kimi