Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 23:59:07 -0600
From:      Adrian Goins <monachus@arces.net>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Java Servlets under Virtualhost

--EVAkct0FjGQmdO3R

i posted this a while back and heard nothing in response - this was just
before the list went dead for a few days.  i've continued to play with the
problem and have resolved nothing, so i'm reposting with the hope that
someone out there has a solution:

Platform:
FreeBSD 2.2.5-STABLE
Apache 1.2.6
JServ 0.9.10
JDK 1.1.5

Problem:

Servlets work fine under the main hostname for the webserver, but i have
many VirtualHost entries which won't run any servlet i feed to them.  I
use the aliasing method of VirtualHost (as opposed to having an individual
IP for each of them).  the error i get is as follows:

java.lang.ClassCastException: SnoopServlet
        at
org.apache.jserv.JServServletManager.loadServlet(JServServletManager.java:3=
69)
        at org.apache.jserv.JServConnection.run(JServConnection.java:307)

and the browser just sits there until it times out.  the weird part:  i
was running a SNAP of 2.2.5 and it worked fine.  it broke when i upgraded
to STABLE.

things i've tried:
   upgraded from apache 1.2.4 to 1.2.6
   unlocked my web directory (previously restricted access)
   moved my servlet directory to various places
   set permissions to various things
  =20
it's almost as though having a ServletAlias in a VirtualHost area kills
it.  as soon as i remove that and HUP my daemon, it will happily load
servlets from the main servlet location no matter which host i'm going to. =
=20

on a side note:  i run JRun (http://www.livesoftware.com) on my NT
webserver and love it. i tried working with JRun 2.1b4 for Apache and
found that it never even attempted to load a servlet.  when i alias
/servlet to something and then go to www.host.net/servlet/SnoopServlet, it
tries to find a directory off of my DocumentRoot which is called /servlet
rather than loading the JRun module and actually calling something from
the servlet path configured via JRunAdmin.  i have a tech-support request
into Live Software for that one - has anyone else run into it?=20

thanks for all of your help...

--=20
Regards,

Adrian Goins - admin@arces.net