Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 19:31:07 -0500
From:      David Loszewski <stealth215@attbi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   problem with network cards in server, plz help

I have two different cards on my Netfinity 5000 server, a pci Netgear
FA311 (showing up as a NatSemi (sis0), and the onboard network card
which seems to have an AMD chipset (pcn0).   If I have the onboard
ethernet card enabled at all and have an active cable connected to it
and restart the computer it comes up on ukphy0, turns the pci error
light on and I get no internet access which it later makes the computer
reboot automatically without any warning.  If I disable that card and
put in a PCI Netgear card, have also tried other cards such as Intel or
IBM cards, once in a while it will boot normally but every once in a
while it will get hung up on the ukphy0 as well, giving me the same
problem as the onboard network and reboot itself.  At first I thought it
was an IRQ problem but all of my devices now have individual IRQ's set
in the bios and I'm still having this problem.  I'm afraid to reboot
this thing because I'm afraid it won't be coming back up.  Below are
from my dmesg, the first is when I have my onboard ethernet enabled and
the second is when I have the netgear installed.  Any help would be much
appreciated on what to do with this problem.   By the way....I'm running
on FreeBSD 4.6.2 but also have this problem running 4.7, I it also
usually hangs on the driver initialization during installation of the os.

Dave

Oct  4 21:11:36 hermes /kernel: pcn0: <AMD PCnet/PCI 10/100BaseTX> port
0x2180-0
x219f mem 0xfebfdc00-0xfebfdc1f irq 10 at device 9.0 on pci0
Oct  4 21:11:36 hermes /kernel: pcn0: Ethernet address: 00:06:29:39:bf:a9
Oct  4 21:11:36 hermes /kernel: miibus0: <MII bus> on pcn0
Oct  4 21:11:36 hermes /kernel: ukphy0: <Generic IEEE 802.3u media
interface> on
miibus0
Oct  4 21:11:36 hermes /kernel: ukphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX,
100baseTX, 100bas
eTX-FDX, auto

pcib1: <ServerWorks NB6536 2.0HE host to PCI bridge> on motherboard
pci1: <PCI bus> on pcib1
sis0: <NatSemi DP83815 10/100BaseTX> port 0x4b00-0x4bff mem
0xc0fdf000-0xc0fdffff irq 5 at device 4.0 on pci1
sis0: Ethernet address: 00:a0:cc:76:d9:f1
miibus0: <MII bus> on sis0