Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2001 03:14:19 +1100 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Paul=20Jansen?= <vlaero@yahoo.com.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   ESS 'Maestro 1' PCI  sound card support?

Hello.

This chipset is the default for fairly recent IBM
machines  (ie: 733Mhz P3, VIA Apollo pro 133A chipset)
that use the '300PL' model designation.  I've done
some hunting in the mail archives to try and determine
whether this chipset is supported. the standard 'pcm'
kernel sound option does not see this chipset.  I'm
also fairly sure that I tried the ESS driver a while
ago with no success. What pricked my interest in this
recently was when I was doing a kernel rebuild.  As I
was doing the make process I noticed a number of
subdirectory names scroll off screen.  I'm pretty sure
one of them was the card in the subject line above.
I'm not at my work machine at the moment so I can't
verify this.  I'm wondering if anyone knows about how
to get sound enabled for this chipset?  I noticed
there is also a recent query about this in the
multimedia list whereby the chipset (or something very
similar) was in a dell laptop.  As that poster
experienced I don't get any identificatin for the card
in 'dmesg' - just a reference to 'unknown card'  Any
clues?  In particular - does anyone have an idea what
I saw flash past when I was making a new kernel was
about?

Many thanks.
Paul

http://briefcase.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Briefcase