Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 20:42:29 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Urgent help req'd building docproj port

I'm having *major* problems building the docproj port. Many of the
dependencies were well out of date so it seemed like a good idea. I
did ``pkg_delete -f'' on all the appropriate elements (as listed in
sections 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 of the FDP primer) and then ran ``make
JADETEX=no install'' in the docproj port directory.

It d/l'd plenty of source and built it, completing successfully - or
so it seemed. Attempting to build the docs resulted in hundreds of
errors (mainly from jade).

Checking /var/db/pkg showed that docbook, dsssl, and sp hadn't been
installed. Poking around I found that the docbook and linuxdoc
directories still existed in /usr/local/share/sgml, so I ``rm -rf''d
them, re-ran ``make JADETEX=no install'' in the docproj directory and
this time it built dsssl, docbook, and linuxdoc, but trying to build
the docs still bombs out with hundreds of errors like:

/usr/local/bin/jade:/usr/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/faq/book.sgml:297:63:E: element "ANSWER" undefined

So what's going wrong? Am I right in thinking that the docproj
meta-port is supposed to check and, if necessary, build *all* the
dependencies required to build the docs? And why is ``make deinstall''
(and pkg_delete -f) not removing them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

--
	"there's a long-standing bug relating to the x86 architecture
	that allows you to install Windows too  ;"