Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 1995 10:17:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        dennis@et.htp.com (dennis)
Cc:        tom@sdf.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wanted: 100bT EISA ethernet recommendation

> Tom's opinion....
> >
> >On Tue, 11 Jul 1995, dennis wrote:
> >
> >> The question is, who would build one? EISA cards are too expensive to build
> >> and EISA  is too slow for a 100mbs medium. If someone is making them then
> >> I'll bet they have a much bigger marketing dept than engineering.
> >
> >  That's wrong.  EISA is fast enough for 100mbs ethernet.
>
> It can't be wrong, because any way you slice it its an opinion. Under light
> load anything will work, but under heavy load its nice if your bus
> throughput is greater than the bandwidth. If your EISA card is bus mastering
> it can take over your machine under heavy load. For a workstation, sure, but
> not for a server. And EISA is too expensive for a workstation.

Okay, if you want to slice it up that way, we better throw out all our
PCI machines too.  Since a P54C CPU has a bus bandwidth capacity of
528MByte/sec and PCI can only do 132MB/sec on 32 bit PCI and 264MB/sec
on the non-existent 64 bit PCI.  Some one had better sit down and do
some serious memory system design as the best memory I have seen in
a PC based system falls considerable short of all of this at 75MB/sec.

We need a 500+MB/sec I/O channel, and a 1GByte/sec memory channel to
keep everything happy, and that is with _todays_ P54C-100, anyone care
to recon what we will need next year with SMP P6's being every ones
new hot projects??

PCI and EISA buses are _not_ the limiting channel in server applications,
nor have they been for the 5 years, it has been memory channel bandwidth
problems, plain and simple.

If you want to see a real server design look at an Auspex, it can
almost meet some of the above numbers.