Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 1995 17:18:23 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
Cc:        ache@freefall.freebsd.org, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ld.so, LD_NOSTD_PATH, and suid/sgid programs

> >Can you see a security reason for disabling LD_NOSTD_PATH for suid/sgid
> >programs?  If not, I think that the recent change should be removed from
> >rtld.c.
>
> In this case I keep in mind some shell script execution which calls
> setuid programs. By setiing LD_NOSTD_PATH user allows such
> programs easily fails, it is clear.

Why should a program which calls setuid programs fail in the first
place?  If they are calling a setuid program it will still only look in
the 'normal' places for shlibs, which means they are safe.

> Here can be very unpleasant
> side effect that usually shell scripts not expects setuid
> programs failing for such reasons and have lack of error traping
> at this point.

Can you give a more concrete example of where this is a 'bad thing'?  I
can't even imagine one, even with this explanation.

Nate