Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 1996 07:19:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        mattox@csd.uwm.edu (username)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ???

 |sections thus reducing cluster sizes when writing files.  Two partitions
 |for dos/windows (d:\ and e:\) and the remaining 4MB area for BSD.
 |Again, I do not know if this is a proper and logical approach or not.
 |Is this a reasonable approach or is there a better one I should
 |consider?

Given the disk size you're speaking of, I assume you meant the 400MB area
after your D: and E: drives.  If you're using BIOS LBA you should be OK.
Otherwise, you're probably not going to be able to boot your FreeBSD
partition (1024 cylinder BIOS limitation).  If BIOS LBA isn't an option for
you, make sure both your DOS and FreeBSD boot partitions lie below cylinder
1024.  See the MultiOS tutorial off the FreeBSD home page for more details.

 |Second question--if what I have done is reasonable and one of the better
 |ways to partition the drive how do I access the 4MB area beyond the E:\
 |drive?  How do install BSD in this unamed area?

You do it all with the sysinstall program that comes up when you boot off
the boot floppy.  There's plenty of good info on this in the handbook and
in the mailing list archives.

Randall Hopper
rhh@ct.picker.com