Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 2002 06:29:20 +0100
From:      Mark <admin@asarian-host.net>
To:        "Ethan Akins" <ethanakins@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mountroot> Please Help / URGENT..

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ethan Akins" <ethanakins@hotmail.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Monday, December 23, 2002 2:23 AM
Subject: mountroot> Please Help / URGENT..

> Operating System / Configuration:
>
> FreeBSD 4.6 with RAID 1 ( Mirrored )
>
> Situation:
>
> I have 2 active drives running in the same machine at all times. In
> addition, I have 1 extra drive that sits on the shelf with a copy of the
> previous backup that I swap out with one of the other active drives every
> week. When I swap out the drive from the shelf with one of the drives in
> the machine upon booting it says array failure so I press Ctrl + F and
> "re-create" the array.

Lemme guess, you're using a FastTrack RAID controller? I use the exact same
method of backing up as you do (on my ASUS A7V333), down to the same
rotation scheme even. :)

> The remaining drive that I leave on the shelf for additional backup will
> NOT boot up as a single drive to get data off that I need very badly...

How odd. On my ASUS A7V333 board I can yank out either of the two disks, and
even though the BIOS complains a bit about my array being in a "critical"
state, it will still boot, of course. I say "of course", for that is the
whole point of having a RAID 1, right? That if one of the drives fails, you
can continue with the other.

Naturally, FreeBSD 4.7R still notices the drive missing from the array, but
unless you checked the logs, you would not know it.

> Would anyone able to help me out with this situation ?

Have you tried physically removing (disconnecting) the first drive? That may
help. It could be a FreeBSD issue (though I doubt it; it is hard to imagine
the difference between 4.6 and 4.7 would be this major).

I have heard people say here that FreeBSD could not possibly mount the
single drive partitions as they are part of an array. Well, I cannot speak
for others, but there have been several occassions where I had to do exactly
what you want: boot from the backup disk to retrieve data; and, like I said,
unless I checked the logs, FreeBSD ran just as it always does: smoothly. :)

- Mark