Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 22:05:45 -0400
From:      "Matt Rudderham" <matt@researcher.com>
To:        "Leonard W. Gold" <lengold@play.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Outgoing mail security

>Hi,
>Thanks for getting back to me.  I looked for the access file and couldn't
>find it there.  I am using FreeBSD 3.1.  At that location it has
>sendmail.cf.additions & relay-domains.  Hope your familiar with this one.
>Thanks again.
>LG

Hi Leonard,
Unfortunately my experience doesn't go back to 3.1. I would try creating the
access file and added the line I gave you, as this was the case in 4.0 for
myself. However, since I haven't tried it with earlier versions of sendmail
if you happen to be running one. Also, you should CC messages to the list so
others can jump in and help and so others with the same problem can find
answers in the archives. Hopefully someone can jump in and help you out on
this.
- Matt

>I would like to know if you could tell me witch file on a Free BSD mail
>server I need to edit and basic example of how the line looks to prevent
>other IP's to connect and use an outgoing mail server.

If you are using FreeBSD 4+ (Maybe earlier?) sendmail is set by default not
to relay mail from other hosts.

>Also just the
>opposite same for the line that would allow a specific IP to be able to
use
>it remotely.

Assuming sendmail again,
edit /etc/mail/access
add this:
192.168.xxx.xxx OK
/* or for a full class c */
192.168.8 OKAY

then from the prompt, makemap hash access < access
I don't believe a restart is required in binary databases.

The above is free to be cut up, and cutting would be appreciated. All I
know
is it works for me:)

- Matthew Rudderham