Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 02:55:22 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Subject:   Re: The shared /bin and /sbin bikeshed

--4SFOXa2GPu3tIq4H

On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 01:59:19AM -0800, Mike Smith wrote:

> I think "NO_STATIC_BINARIES" should make everything dynamic that can be=
=20
> made dynamic, so your limited functionality change is probably right.

Can I just chime in and say that statically linked binaries suck
because they can be impossible to scan for when a library they were
linked against has a bug or security vulnerability. Often you can be
lucky and find a magic string in the binary which unambiguously shows
whether or not it was linked against a vulnerable version (e.g. a RCS
ID), but sometimes you have nothing to go on and it's hard to work out
whether the binary was even linked against the library, let alone a
vulnerable version thereof.

Adding RCS IDs to all the source code files in the FreeBSD libraries
(conditional on a compile-time anti-bloat option, e.g. buried in a
macro) would fix this.

Kris

--4SFOXa2GPu3tIq4H

--4SFOXa2GPu3tIq4H--