Date:      Tue, 7 Oct 2003 16:04:58 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: good address will not resolve

> Message: 14
> Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 15:01:54 -0400
> From: Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
> Subject: Re: good address will not resolve in freebsd (_ in host
> 	names)

> No, but like I said, more and more people are starting to use
> it. What is the big deal about _ vs - ? I am all for following
> convention, but sometimes it leads to the Judean Popular
> People's front vs the People's popular Front of Judea type
> stuff.... Also, as someone else pointed out, I think the RFC
> has changed since then.

I can't find an RFC that says the host name has changed. I remeber
first setting up DNS systems in the early-mid'90's when and
underscore was permitted, but it was noted that it would stop being
supported in the future. The RFC the other person refered to shows
that almost anything is permitted on the internal names - but it
never specifically addresses host names, as it done in RFC1034
I told the people at that site they would have to change, but they
didn't bother to do that until things started breaking.

It appears that MS is the culprit.  The refernce in what I read
point to an alternate character set and points to RFC2181 - but
that does not appear to be correct.

It's part of the W2K DNS and you can configure it four any one
of four choices. Strict ANSI - RFC 1123, Non-RFC ANSI - adds
underscore, Multibyte (UTF8) - MS naming standard, or
Any - where any character can be used.

The notes say that in >strictly private networks< MS suggests that
the Unicode standard works well.  The article also says you have to
decide to enforce MS standards or have dual support.

Since MS machines aren't running on most of the internet backbone
and virtually all are non-MS, changing things at this stage of the
game would surely create a lot of non-findable systems. I'm not
going to change any of my name servers.  I have enough problem with
one of the European registrars refusing to accept a client
registration as my servers don't meet THEIR standards.  But that
is .it - and it was only one - so I'm not about to change things
that work.

A question here - will the registrars permit registering a name
with an underscore.

> End of freebsd-stable Digest, Vol 29, Issue 3

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com