Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 15:06:11 -0700
From:      "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems getting STABLE running on a VAIO 505TL

Hi Folks,

   I have a VAIO 505TL that I'm trying to get STABLE onto.  What I do
is install from 4.3 CDROM which goes quite well, the PCMCIA card for
the CDROM is recognized and used and things work OK. I then do

cvsup
make buildworld
make buildkernel
make installkernel
make installworld
mergemaster
reboot

I can then not boot because the kernel hangs after the line
about ad0: (the disk).  I suspect this of being a kernel configuration
problem.  What I need to know is:

1) How can I find out what the kernel that got installed by 4.3 looked
like.  I figure it's the fact that I'm using GENERIC that's causing
the issue but without a way to find out the kernel config I'm going to
always have this problem and I don't want to do this over and over and
over again.

2) If anyone has gotten this done on this or a similar (recent) Sony
laptop.

Thanks,
George