Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 2009 07:57:01 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Cc:        Pramod Srinivasan <pramod@juniper.net>
Subject:   Re: LOCK_PROFILING

On Wednesday 19 August 2009 2:30:25 am Pramod Srinivasan wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have a difficult problem I am stuck with,  we had ported LOCK_PROFILING to
> FreeBSD 6.1 and is working fine on mips, but fails miserably on i386.
>
> Just enabling lock profiling by the sysctl causes the cpu to reset.
>
> root@bcdcpu3% sysctl debug.lock.prof.enable=1
> debug.lock.pr?  << cpu resets here
>
> Has any one seen similar issues? Any pointers on where to start debugging
> this issue?
>
> The suspicion is that the spin-lock is perhaps contributing to the problem,
> but have not been able to get to the bottom.

It sounds like a tripe fault.  I suspect you are recursing on your stack
somehow leading to a double fault that faults again trying to get a lock to
output to the console perhaps (that would explain the lack of double fault
messages if that were the case).  Perhaps a lock used in the profiling is
incorrectly being profiled?

--
John Baldwin