Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 15:00:01 +0200
From:      Philipp Reichmuth <reichmuth@web.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   UTF-8

Hello Questions-folks,

I am currently experimenting with using Unicode in multilingual
document processing, and since I use a central document repository on
a FreeBSD-based server, I was wondering to what degree FreeBSD
supports Unicode.

I can probably use the UTF-8 compatible xterm that comes with XFree86
4.0.3 and higher with unicode-enabled fonts without problems; the
interesting things start with system interaction. Does anyone know if
and how I can enable UTF-8 as input/output encoding in the system
console? Can I use UTF-8 encoded filenames? (NULL never occurs in
UTF-8 strings, but I'm no FFS expert, so I don't know what other
obstacles there might be.)

The ultimate goal is to have a system that is completely
Unicode-based, so that I'll never have to worry about character
encodings and writing systems again.

On another note, due to frequent power cuts where I'm living at the
moment I really hate the age-long fscks on the server with the
occasional data loss involved. Can I use a journaling filesystem with
BSD?

Thanks in advance
 Philipp                          mailto:reichmuth@web.de