Date:      Sun, 4 Jun 1995 22:35:40 +1000 (EST)
From:      Eric Young <eay@mincom.oz.au>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        Tim Hudson <tjh@orb.mincom.oz.au>, Eric Young <eay@tenmail.mincom.oz.au>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DES, eBones and crypt availble for non-US!

On Sun, 4 Jun 1995, Mark Murray wrote:
> 1) I am trying to find pointers to the official legal status of crypto
>    code in various countries. I know that the USA/Canada considers this
>    to be a munition, so exporting it illegally is like gun running.
>    I heard a rumour that Australia was the same. I also heard something
>    about this code being illegal for possession in France. Any comments/
>    pointers?

As far as I know, the USA/CAnada is as you suspect.  Australia, I don't
know about, so make sure you take a copy of my code before they take me
away :-) (Actually I have had my DES library up for so long, I think
things would be very strange if they acted now :-).  I have heard that it
is illegal to import encryption stuff into France.  I am working on a
file to go with my SSL distribution that says what I think the postion
is.  The best part is that it appears that it may be ilegal for USA
people to use my RSA code, a bit of a change :-)

> 2) We are all treating eBones with respect and not getting it from the
>    states, but is contains no crypto code, only calls. Is it or is it not
>    legal for export? I need a definitive answer here. (I vaguely remember
>    something about a `sanitised' Kerberos/eBones (or is this eBones
>    itself?).

Ah some history :-) What happended many many moons ago when I was fresh
out of Uni ('89), I got a job as a postgraduate fellow at the newly
started Bond University on the Gold Coast in sunny old Queensland.  This
position ment I was doing a PhD part time and working as a systems
programmer part time for the Computing School.  After about 9 months of me
doing absolutly nothing on the PhD I just swapped over to being the
Schools full time systems programmer :-).  Part of their setup of the
Computing School was to set up a workstation environment similar to that
at MIT.  People came out from MIT to do this setup.  They left after some
time and I was left with what was left behind :-(.  Kerberos as we know
cannot be exported, but they did install a version called Bones.  Bones
was what was left after a program called Parania (sp?) was run over
kerberos which removed all the cryptographic calls.  'They' were not even
alowed to leave the cryto call in the library, they had to all be taken
out.  It fell upon me to put encryption back in.  This was not much fun at
the time (I found the kerberos code a little ugly to understand, probably
because I was just fresh out of Uni :-).  Out of this came eBones
(encrypting Bones) and my libdes DES library.  When I left Bond Uni for a job
at the Psych department at the University of Queensland, I left behind any
work I was/had been doing on eBones since the environment was unsuited to
Kerberos.  I did continue working on the DES library, and had a bit of
contact with eBones when some other Department wanted to talk to Terminal
Servers.  Otherwise I though I had escaped my resposibilities :-)

> The code we have includes a Kerberised telnet, in a non-functional state (I
> think someone in the US has fixed this, but he obviously can't let us
> get it). Do you have a working one?

Unfortunatly no.  I'm quite willing to help support SSL telnet though :-).
The rlogin that came with eBones was a bit ugly and I seem to remember
out of band data did nasty things to it when I left it.

> How long before an official release?

Well it is sort of officially released.  The documenting and improving of
the library interface will continue for some time but the full
functionality is there.  As I put it on my mailing to the ssl-list, I had
missed 2 self imposed deadlines, it worked, and if I held of until things
were perfect, it would never get released :-). I'm only telling a few
mailing lists so that I can make sure the bugs are fixed and our
documentation is good enough so that I don't get inundated with email when
the unwashed masses are told about it :-).  When it gets anounced on
sci.crypt etc, it should be interesting, considering SSLref costs $30k for a
commercial licence and RSAref costs $10k.  Mine is free.  SSLref actually
uses RSAref and my DES library (it can use other DES libraries as well).
Mine contains everything in one build tree.  I have written this on my
own time more as therapy for myself (nothing like mindless obsessive
programming for a month or 2 to get your mind off other things :-) but
I will be interested to see what kind of 'political' fuss this causes,
especially in the USA with the software patent issues.  Worst case for
people in the USA appears to be RSA refusing to 'licence' my version od
the RSA algorithm, so people in the USA will have to pay RSA a licence
fee while people out side the USA will have a free version available for
comercial use.  The people writting www servers/clients will have an
interesting time.  I'm more in this for doing SSL telnet/telnetd.

But anyway, I digress, take it, have a play but I would sugest not doing
too much with the code yet since I'm still changing it quite a bit.  Do
send me sugestions though.

> Would we be able to hack this code into our source tree? We have our own
> make system, and we would gladly preserve any attribution. (I have read
> the next paragraph, but I am now asking if we may 'BSD-ise' this. It may
> then divert a bit from your mainstream development. (Not much if what I
> have seen so far of the BSD team is anything to go by)

I'm very keen to keep control of the 'direction' of this library.  I will
gladly put your changes into my distribution.  Even if it comes down to
taking my distribution, unpackit, run FreeBSDit and then it's in your
tree. If the Makefile names are not Makefile (or makefile) I'd also just
plop them into my trees. Please remember this is a library, it produces
libssl.a libcrypto.a and libdes.a, which are installed in the area
specified in the makefile. Hopefully, when I'm finished, there should be
no need to make any changes for any platform except to change the
makefiles (and a few defines for performance reasons).  It is still
currently changing quite a bit and so if you do want to 'branch off'
another development tree, definitly hold off until it is more stable (not
that it does not work, it's just that there are about 200 function (mostly
X509/rsa) which are mostly undocumented, and I add more as I need them to
make the library easier to use :-).

eric