Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 2001 13:56:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Anyone get "runsocks" to work for programs in Linux emulation mode?

The "runsocks" script basically works by placing certain libraries earlier
in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, so that calls to certain (dynamically loaded)
functions get the "socksified" versions of the functions instead of the
usual flavor.

Linux emulation does its own curious things with the program's perception
of the universe.

Now I have a requirement to gain access to network resources that are on
the far side of a SOCKS5 server (that requires user-level authentication,
so just pointing (say) Netscape at the SOCKS server doesn't do the job).
I am able to get the lynx-ssl stuff to work via runsocks, but the
application in question appears to be designed to require some
capabilities that lynx doesn't support.  The native FreeBSD netscape
works for most things, but not one particular HTTPS (TCP/443)
application.  So I wanted to try the Linux version of netscape....

Has anyone had occasion to try to make this work?  Is attempting it
something that is suitable only by the certifiably insane?

Please respond to me, even if you respond to the list, as I'm not
subscribed.  I'll summarize, if that might be useful.

Thanks,
david
--
David Wolfskill      dhw@whistle.com   UNIX System Administrator
Desk: 650/577-7158   TIE: 8/499-7158   Cell: 650/759-0823

I need help: http://www.whistle.com/employment/employ-engg.html#K030391