Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:17:04 +1000 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?eodyna?= <eodyna@yahoo.com.au>
To:        FreeBSD Gnome <freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Subject:   Re: gnome-panel hangs on logout

> it and the logout proceeds. Do you talk about this
behavior when you
say
> "it hangs"?

What he is referring to, is the fact that with
Gnome-2.x, clicking
"Actions" > "Logout" produces the following:

The desktop dims somewhat (which is normal)
The confirmation dialogue box appears
You click on "Yes"
System freezes for 5 - 10 minutes
Shutdown proceeds as normal

I have this on FreeBSD-4.9 Pre SMP boxes as well.

What I often get, for good measure, is the systems
hang / freeze
*before* the logout confirmation dialogue box appears.
After the delay,
the box appears, you click "Yes", the logout proceeds
as normal.

I raised this issue months ago, back at 2.0, or
thereabouts. Both
systems are running Gnome-2.x with default Metacity /
settings.

Got no answer to my post.., left it at that.

Hi there,

I just want to say that im using 4.8-RELEASE-p4 on a
desktop and i get the same problem with default
install of gnome 2.2.2. But for me it isn't always the
action->logout that hangs, it is also my browser (im
using mozilla-firebird.

However Im also running the same install on my laptop
and it works fine. The system doesn't hang.

There are no error messages that i can see. But i
might be looking in the wrong place :)
/var/log/XFree86.0.log

i start gnome manually from command line with startx.

Thanks

http://search.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Search