Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:48:28 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Robert Jesacher <jessy@sicha.net>
Cc:        daniel@dgnetwork.com.br, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Understanding Flags, Refs, Use, Expire in Routing Table

--==_Exmh_1206722908_12662P

> From: Robert Jesacher <jessy@sicha.net>
> Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 16:39:31 +0100
> Sender: owner-freebsd-net@freebsd.org
>
> Hi Daniel,
>
> you find mostl of you questions answered in "man netstat" (the
> relevant passage is posted below)
> The missing part is the expiry, which IMHO are the seconds, the ARP
> entry is valid (after this time a new arp request would be issued)
>
> I hope this is the information you needed.

It makes following a thread really hard. It's all (mostly) Microsoft's fault!
> Why?
> > I wish people would stop top-posting!

The Expire entry is the result of FreeBSD's unfortunate co-mingling
network layer routing information with layer 2 ARP information. The only
entries with "Expire" values are actually ARP entries. (Note the MAC
address os "Gateway".)

Expire is in seconds remaining until the entry expires and is no longer
used.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)