Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 1998 00:19:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Chris Brunner <cjb@efn.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Playing Midi files

On 23-Jan-98 Chris Brunner wrote:
> I have been trying to get midis to play well in FreeBSD since I got it,
> but I've had no luck.  I set up the VOXWARE stuff all fine and dandy, but
> midis just sound really, really bad, if they play at all.  Sometimes,
> there is no playback at all, sometimes I get a core dump.  When I say they
> sound really bad, I mean the notes are the wrong instraments or not
> played, and sound off-tone.
> I have a SB32 PnP configured with Luigi's PnP driver running on FreeBSD
> 2.2.5.  The card has 2MB of onboard memory for loading soundfonts.

Have you tried the timidity port? I'm pretty impressed with it.
It translates midi to wave, pcm, or raw and also plays it directly
using /dev/dsp. It sounds much better than the other midi players  with
which I had been playing.

One nice feature is that you can then use the real audio encoder to
encode the file produced by timidity, if you choose raw or wave output.

regards,

Jim Durham

Jim Durham <Television Engineer-Unitel Mobile Video, Pittsburgh>
  <Computer Consultant/Hobbyist> <Amateur Radio: W2XO>
  <Web:http://www.w2xo.pgh.pa.us>; <Packet:W2XO@W2XO.#SWPA.PA.USA.NOAM>