Date:      Mon, 08 Jan 2018 11:49:08 +0100
From:      Adriaan de Groot <adridg@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on the Pinebook

--nextPart3029089.GWLuFgd64g

On Sunday, 7 January 2018 22:12:37 CET Peter Jeremy wrote:
> Is any work being done to get FreeBSD running on the Pinebook?
> https://www.pine64.org/?page_id=3707

The hardware is pretty much interchangeable, except for the way the serial
port works over the audio jack. The Pinebook is roughly / basically the pine64
board with some ports wired to the outside of the case. Linux images for the
Pinebook work just fine on the Pine64+ board after replacing the u-boot blocks
with Pine64+ versions thereof.

I could borrow a Pinebook and check that the Pine64+ FreeBSD image boots on it
just to be sure; I've got an audio-to-serial-pinout cable kicking around for
this purpose, but ..

> https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/Allwinner shows the A64 and Pine64
> are supported but there's no framebuffer support listed so I presume it
> doesn't work (at least usefully) on the Pinebook.

. without video output, there's not much use for the whole thing. Note
there's just been a new binary-blob MALI 400 driver published on the Pine
wiki, who knows what effect that might have. (I haven't tried latest Linux
images with that new driver, getting the DRM blob to play nice with other
kernels is quite an exercise).

Basically I'd suggest getting the Pine64 to support video first, and then
worrying about devices using it -- something similar applies to the Rock64
mentioned here recently (although that's a MALI 450 GPU, which I think FreeBSD
supports on the ODROID C2+ .. gah, too many hardware variants running through
my head, I'll get coffee first).

[ade]