Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 13:06:13 -0500 (CDT)
From:      lgfausak@august.net (Greg Fausak)
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        greg@august.net
Subject:   BPF usage questions

FreeBSD Net Mail List:

I've got an application on FreeBSD which is running several hundred
network interfaces.  They are frame relay interfaces, about 120
per T1 line, and I currently have 4 T1 lines.

We offer our customers DHCP.  About 200 of them have requested
it.  To provide DHCP we use the ISC implementation which employs
BPFilters.  I've modified the kernel to accompdate 255 bpf devices.
I seem to be limited by the number of minor devices allowed.

I have a few questions concerning the use of BPFs...any help
would be greatly appreciated.

1) Is it wise to use so many BPF devices?

2) Is there any way to increase the number of BPF devices beyond 255?

and, finally, the real questions...

3) Is there some way I can listen on a single device and determine
   what real device a packet comes in on and...

4) Has anyone done something like this?  This is much like the
   dhcp helper command on a cisco router.  I'd like to be able to
   serve DHCP for thousands of 'devices'.

---greg
Greg Fausak
August.Net Services, LLC